Friday, August 12, 2011

Fuel Spill in the Marina

We had a short trip today of about 20 miles.  I know many of you drive more than that one way to work, but work is the last thing on my mind.  We were going to go to Mackinaw City which is on the South side of the bridge but I was feeling cocky so we went across the Mackinaw Straits to St. Ignace which is on the UP.  St. Ignace is a nice marina and the best town we have been in yet.  Everything is close to the marina and as many of you know I don't like to walk far.  When we got to the marina the fuel dock was full so we waited.  I could smell fuel but didn't think anything about it.  We got fuel and docked and Ginny went to check in.  When she got back she said the marina was closed and nobody was getting in or out.  The fire department, Coast Guard and EPA showed up.  Nobody could find where the leak was and I don't know if they ever did.  They eventually let boats in but kept the fuel dock closed.  It still smells like fuel but maybe it will go away tonight.  We walked into town and went to a local grocery store for supplies.  There are at least three different ferry lines that run the Mackinac Island.  We were told to use Arnolds so that's what we will do tomorrow.  Guess what, it is the closest too.  We had dinner at a place next to the marina and they had great food.  Ginny got the Whitefish and I got ribs.  Maybe that is why you cant't see my ribs anymore.  When we were at dinner we received a text and pictures of a sunset on Lake Erie.  We have yet to see a sunset, we heard that is because we are on the wrong side of the state.  Maybe we will see some on the other side.  We also received a text from our daughter with a picture of the dogs which was great.  I guess my badgering of our son in the last post worked because he sent a text to his mother today.  Tomorrow is a Mackinac day where they don't have any cars and you have to walk everywhere.  Ferries run every hour so maybe I can be done in one ferry.  I heard they have a lot of horses so if I'm lucky I can get some horse sh?? on my shoes that I can track on the boat.  Wish me luck.

 Leaving Cheboyan in the morning

 The Grand Hotel

 The harbor into Mackinac Island

 Waiting for the fuel dock to clear

 Looks lonely doesn't she

 Looking for the leak

 All the marinas have the same sign

 A famous rock? but since I didn't read the plaque I have no idea

 Lighthouse in the marina

 Local fireman with booms

 The Coast Guard was on the scene taking water samples

 They have a very nice boardwalk that follows the water through the town

Not much of a sunset but the best we have seen

No comments:

Post a Comment