Sunday, August 14, 2011

Mackinac Island

Yesterday was a lay low day. It rained all day and was cold. We did some shopping and mostly sat around. We went to a local bar late in the day and had some food and watched the PGA on TV. Remember that I can't get any local channels on Direct TV because I am too far from Columbus. I have an over the air TV antenna but since most of the cities are small the signals are to weak to get digital. I did do some route planning which I needed to do. We finally met another looper couple. Mike and Denniese are on a Marine Trader named Lifestyle II. They have been on the loop for about 4 months. They left from Stuart FL. We only got to spend a few minutes because the fireworks were going to start and their dog was a little nervous.

We got up today and it was 59 degrees and windy. We left the boat about 8:30, went to breakfast and then caught the 9:30 ferry to Macinac Island. I am really glad we waited another day and went to the island today because it turned out to be a beautiful day. Ginny and I have never been to the island so the first thing we did was get on a horse drawn carriage for a trip around town. It turned out to be a good idea because we got to see most of the island and we didn't have to walk up the hills. We saw the Grand Hotel (you have to pay $10 to walk on the porch), Fort Mackinac and many of the shops in town. There are many restaurants and fudge shops. We did NOT buy any fudge. I repeat, no fudge. They have 18 fudge shops but I was a rock. I hate myself now but it had to be done. The weather is supposed to be pretty good the next couple of days. We are either going to Beaver Island or Harbor Springs tomorrow.



Outer marker of the Mackinac Island Harbor




The marina




A church right on the water




Another view of the harbor




Our first driver.



The little stone church




Carriages lined up ready for horses




The butterfly house




These were our engine on the ride back to town.

Does it look like the middle one in looking a me?




The carriage that the three horses pull.



Our driver Kenny



Arch Rock

The tour guide told us a story about this being created by an Indian princess's tears over a lost lover.




At the fort they do many reenactments and this one was of a court marshal.




The harbor from above.

The ferry is just like the Jet Express that goes to Put-In-Bay






I am sure you can read for yourself




The Grand Hotel




The hotel from the water




The mighty Mac

We will be going under tomorrow

1 comment:

  1. Jim and I are really enjoying the blog! We loved Charlevoix, and took the ferry to Beaver Island. You are in my favorite part of Michigan now, except I love the inland lakes! I enjoyed the blog about Mackinac Island since my daughter and I were there a couple of years ago. We think about you and Jim checks about daily. I catch up once a week. Praying for your safety while on your great adventure! Cos

    ReplyDelete