Friday, August 5, 2011

Lexington Michigan to Port Austin

We left Lexington today at 7:00 A.M. and decided to run about 75 miles to Port Austin. I had originally thought that we would go to Harbor Beach but we heard from multiple sources that Harbor Beach was not worth a stop. The weather was perfect and the the lake was dead calm the entire way. We went about 10.5 miles per hour and I have to tell you that going that slow is really boring. I know the blow boaters and the trawlers don't feel sorry for me but I don't care, it sucks. I realize it is the journey and not the destination but believe me I can see just as much going 20MPH as I can at 10. After about 5 hours I told Ginny we were going to go faster but then I checked the stock market and decided to stay slooooow. Port Austin is a nice little town and it suits me because the walk to town is short and the hill is not steep like at Lexington. When we came back from dinner the entire law enforcement operations in Port Austin were coming to the docks with sirens blaring. It turns out that a man was walking his dog on the break wall and the dog jumped in so the man followed. The man forgot that dogs can swim but some humans can't and apparently he was one of those. Anyway he was rescued and so was his dog so all was well. We are going to stay here tomorrow and then travel on Sunday depending on the weather.




Port Sanilac Light House




Just to show you that we really are saving the planet.




A lot of empty water




Harbor Springs Light House




Port Austin Light




Dinner at a local Italian Place

I had Ribs




The local Rescue Trucks

Look closely at the red truck, looks pretty old to me




The jumper being brought in on a jet ski




Man and his best friend




Nice town

No comments:

Post a Comment