Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A visit from friends

Yesterday we spent another day at Harbor Springs. We like the city a lot so it was a pleasure to stay and some friends from Lake Erie were coming up to look at some property. Shirlee and Bob are very familiar with this area. They ski here quite a bit in the winter and Shirlee worked in this area for a number of years. Ginny and I walked around town for a while and we had lunch at the Bar Harbor restaurant/bar. Ginny had an olive burger. I don't really get the olives but they seem to be popular up here. Maybe I should spend more time on the history of the food instead of eating it. We went to a store that said they were going out of business but I am pretty sure that sign has been up since they opened. Ginny did get a nice lightweight water proof jacket and we may need that today as it is supposed to rain. We did take the dingy around the harbor and I got a couple of pictures of some more big boats. Shirlee and Bob arrived about 4:00 and they drove us to the condo they just purcased (beautiful area) and then it was time for dinner. Remember this is one of the nicest harbors around which means there are many very good restaurants close but Shirlee had a better idea. She thought it would be fun to take the narrowest, most winding road for 20 miles north to a local landmark place called the Legs Inn. Bob was not very excited about driving that far but he is a very good sport so off we went. Shirlee has been to this place several times and she knew we would love it. She also said that there was a quicker way back and that the main menu was Polish but they have "other stuff" too. The drive was very nice along the coast and we went through an area called the Tunnel of Trees. For those of you in Columbus, it was like driving around hocking hills with nicer homes. We arrived safely and the place is definitely one of a kind as you can see from the pictures. We got seated quickly and when I looked at the menu I could not find the "other stuff" so I had to decipher what the food was from the description because I had never heard of most of the items. A ha, I found one I recognized, it was kielbasa. I asked the waitress, who was from Lithuania, if I could have that without the sauerkraut. Apparently that was the wrong thing to ask for because she looked a me a little funny and said the meat was cooked in sauerkraut . I picked the breaded pork and it was very good. Ginny and Shirlee had Golabki which looked to me like a big burrito (it is a cababge roll). Anyhow we had a great time and Shirlee was right about a quicker way back. We had a drink at the restaurant at the marina (remember I said there were several good places close) and then parted company. It was such a nice visit and we really appreciate Shirlee and Bob making time to get us off the boat for a while. Today we are headed for Charlevoix and will meet up with a couple from Petosky tonight for a visit.




In case you forgot where we were


I don't know if this is private or a charter



This boat was right across from the one above


This boat came in for fuel.


Nice dinghy dock for sailboats in the harbor


I finally got in the water.

It wasn't warm but not that cold


Shirlee and Bob

Thanks again for the visit


Worth the drive


There is always a plaque


This is looking out from the restaurant at Gray's reef which we came through on our way to Harbor Spriings


Unique decor


A big snake




No comments:

Post a Comment